Food Cravings

...so until I get my 8-pack ala Stevie, I'm going to continue enjoying my food. Today I ate: two shortbread biscuits, fried rice, two fried dim sims, spanish meatballs, crispy fried potatoes (no, not fries - they were tapas style), chorizo, potato croquettes and asparagus and fetta stuffed mushrooms.

That got me thinking to what foods here in Australia will I miss the most. In order:

5. Meat pies. No, they're not 'pot pies'! A real meat pie has to be filled with that creamy, meaty gravy and real chunks of questionable beef. I have to say I am impartial to the gourmet pies with cheese in them though. Oh, and also the ones with potato. Not to mention chicken and vegetable pies. Hell I'm gonna miss ALL OF THEM! I LOVE YOU MEAT PIE! *sob*

4. Sausage rolls. Sausage rolls are kind of like pizza - you can never have a bad sausage roll.

3. Donor kebabs. Gyros in Greektown in Chicago just aren't the same. I have my kebabs with barbecue sauce and cheese - preferably after 17 vodkas.

2. Sticky date puddings. Girlie had this for the first time in Sydney and was hooked. It was until then that I realised how great they are. Lucky for me, Matt cooks a mean sticky date pudding (and, for the record, a peerless pavlova).

...and #1 is *drum roll*


1. THE CHIKO ROLL! It's hard to explain this to a non-aussie but it's kind of like a spring roll filled with cabbage and unidentifiable 'vegetables'. Except the casing isn't flaky pastry like a spring roll, but it's kinda...crispy and chewy at the same time. The chiko roll has been experiencing somewhat of a renaissance in my circle of friends thanks to Ed. Also, chiko rolls do not have anything to do with Xerxes the drag queen Persian King from 300. *looks puzzledly at Ed*

Having said that, I'm looking forward to getting decent buffalo wings, mexican food, deep-dish pizza and chicken-fried steak. I'm all about (fatty, calorie-filled) silver linings baby!

Song of the Day: "Pictures" - Sneak Sound System

Blog Archive