Health Update and Comments on MD Anderson

I'll start off today by asking you for a favor. A lot of you have my email address, it is readily available in my blog profile. I always appreciate hearing from you. My favor is that you post comments, when you feel like it, on this blog. It is set up so that you can do it anonymously thereby avoiding the need for yet another ID and password. I'd like to experiment with trying to create a blog community. Thank you. I may change my mind on this, but I'm thinking it may be a fun and useful experience.

I spent a full day at the cancer center yesterday. I arrived at 5:50 AM, had blood drawn at 6:20, a chest x-ray at 6:50, an IV inserted at 7:30, a H&N CT at 7:45, a chest CT at 7:55, a dental oncology visit at 9:00, a surgery follow up consult at 11:00, a supportive care consult at 1:00 PM, an oncology consult at 2:00, and a return to the dental oncology unit at 3:00. I left the hospital a little after 4:00 PM. It was a productive day.

The 2 dental oncology visits took 3 hours in total, no waiting involved. They worked on shaping and finishing a new mouth prosthesis device fitting it to plug the unique defect in my soft palette. I’m wearing it now. Its like getting new braces; it will take a little while to adjust to the feel and fit. I’m encouraged by the early results however.

I measure visit productivity as the time when I’m being seen, examined, or tested (the numerator) by the total time I am at the hospital (the denominator). I don’t use a stop watch to perform this measurement, but I’d guesstimate that yesterday was 70% productive. I’m also guessing that my average visit productivity is around 15%. Visit productivity has no linkage to actual heath care quality. It does however have a high correlation to my (and by a loose interpolation to) patient satisfaction. 15% as an average is pathetic, 70% is off the scale incredible.

My clinic visits involve a great deal of questioning, answering, general catch up, probing and listening with different medical devices and fingers, and in the end an assessment. In summary, my doctors thought I looked well, they did not see or feel any areas of concern, and my oncologist thought I was tolerating my daily chemo pill so well that he left me at the highest recommended daily dosage. I was okay with that. My chest CT had been finalized by a radiologist and showed no evidence of metastatic disease (i.e., no lung cancer). That was a relief after the concern identified by my primary care physician last week. Better safe than sorry in my opinion. My H&N CT will take a bit longer to interpret. With all my surgery-induced scar tissue, a CT with contrast is a good tool, but not a great tool at identifying new cancer growth. Unfortunately for me, it’s probably the best tool available. It will be a few days before I hear back on the test results from this CT scan. I'll post the results when they become available.

My cancer center, MD Anderson, has been rated the number one cancer center in the US for the past 4 out of 5 years. Although my visit productivity value may be low, the quality of care is incredible. They go out of their way to look holistically at patients. There is amazing collaboration among the doctors and the departments. A surgeon won’t feel good about performing an amazing surgery if the patient later dies because the cancer came back elsewhere and finished the patient off. They are also mindful of the quality of life and embed that into their ongoing care. I’m not that happy with some of my surgically-induced changes, but I give my surgeon and his team (assistants, researchers) an A+ along with my oncology doctor, radiologist, supportive care doctor, and dental oncologist for allowing me to get this far, regardless of what happens in the future. One other thing that impresses me about MD Anderson, they have procedures in place and they follow them. They may not make sense to the layman, but I have little doubt that they are there for a good reason and as odd as some of them may seem, they save lives and deliver the best cancer-related health care available in this country.

Take care of yourself. And remember, comments are welcome. A story about yourself, a comment on the material in the blog, or something as simple as a hello are welcome.
================================

Added at 3:00 PM on 3/12/09

My oncologist's Physicians Assistant called with an update on my H&N CT. There is no evidence of disease shown in the H&N CT. That makes it 17 months with no evidence of disease.

Blog Archive